Sunday 30 October 2011

Wirral Waders

Only my second post and already an unholy number of waders! I went onto a beach recently, one of my favourite habitats for photography, with loads of waders at close range, particularly at high tide.

I started on some local marshland, where I found this lovely stonechat, even if he refused to be lit properley...


I was then cut off from walking the scenic route along the coast, so I cut inland, ending at another beach about high tide, with loads of birds massing on the beach. Furthest of the birds are always the largest, in this instance the Grey Plover, this striking summer plumage birds catching the eye.



Its a huge flock, make no mistake! Closest, and the only birds feeding were the Sanderling, my target...



They were moving towards me, and soon I was engulfed in a feeding frenzy...




This flock moved along all too quickly so I moved onto the stationary birds. There were a good c.5000 birds, of which the foremost were Sanderling and Dunlin, but the main body were the more numerous Knot. The wonderfully peaceful looking waders are photogenic in the extreme...


 But its still fun trying to capture stragglers coming in the back...


But possibly my favourite of the day, the Dunlin who likes a wee stretch!


A really enjoyable day out with the waders, I wish I could continue this life of rielly through the winter, but I've got exams, so i'll grit my teeth and resist the temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment