Wednesday 9 November 2011

The Wonderful World of Macro

Its dark and gloomy and generally an standard issue November day, so I thought i'd brighten this site up with some shots from bygone days. For those who don't know what macro photography is, its when you try and reveal a level of detail that wouldn't otherwise be seen. I took it up for the first time this June, and its great. Here are a few of the more 'interesting' subjects...


Ah the flesh fly, my mother's favourite! gorgeous compound eyes, one of the reasons I love them.



The meadow brown above is the most common of all the butterflies I find around my house, and the shots of both the eyes and the proboscis are pretty interesting!


The Silver Spotted Skipper is rare in the UK, but common on the continent, so when I went on a 2 week stint there I had more than my fair share of them. Again you can really appreciate those eyes, as well as the unusual way of folding the wings.


This is an Oak Eggar moth, common in Anglesey, but being buffeted on South Stack Cliffs has made this one a little ragged.


Don't know who this is, but its a very attractive insect.


This is a Holly Blue butterfly and is nomadic, This individual was feeding by the side of a path for just long enough for a shot!



The Holly blue's cousin, the Common Blue. A large colony exists near me, so I spent many happy afternoons with them, this male was particularly obliging.


And finally another Blue, this time Silver Studded Blue, this particular species only found on Headlands in North Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment